Dental decay is one of the most prevalent chronic diseases worldwide, especially among young children due to unhealthy eating and drinking habits in addition to poor oral hygiene. Caries can be treated through tooth restorations, however, drilling and filling is not the only solution. Currently, the risk of dental caries can be significantly reduced through water fluoridation and fluoride-containing oral products. Best Brea, CA chief dentist works dedicatedly to offer treatments of silver diamine fluoride, as an effective alternative to tooth restoration to fight dental caries.
Silver Diamine Fluoride And Its Composition
Silver diamine fluoride (SDF) is a liquid substance that helps to prevent the formation, growth, and spread of tooth cavities (caries). It is an FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved dental product that has been used since 2014 in the United States.
It is an antibiotic solution that consists of the following:
- Silver: Kills bacteria and strengthens your dentin (protective layer of the tooth).
- Fluoride: Helps in the remineralisation of your tooth.
- Water: Provides a liquid base for the mixture
- Ammonia: Maintains the concentration of the solution.
Benefits of SDF
Silver diamine fluoride (SDF) is gaining momentum in the field of dentistry due to the following benefits:
- It is the most comfortable alternative to drilling cavities
- It is a versatile product since it prevents cavities, and can also halt the spread of an already existing caries
- It is painless and non-invasive
- The procedure is safe, quick, and simple
- It is also useful in adults to reduce tooth sensitivity
- Helpful for those who are over-sensitive to dental instruments, thus reducing dental anxiety
- SDF is relatively inexpensive, although there is a wide range of prices.
Silver Diamine Fluoride Treatment
The SDF treatment is a non-invasive procedure, and the steps are as follows:
- The dentist will first brush, and rinse the tooth surface to remove any debris or plaque present over it.
- A cotton pad or gauze will be placed near your child’s affected tooth to keep the area dry. A vacuum suction tool will be used to control moisture.
- The dentist applies the SDF solution directly to the tooth surface with a micro brush.
- Light curing will be used to make sure SDF sinks deeper into the tooth.
- Your child will be advised to refrain from eating or drinking for at least an hour after the SDF treatment.
Science has advanced tremendously over the past decades and helped patients choose non-invasive alternative treatments over invasive, conventional methods. Silver diamine fluoride is an effective alternative to drilling and filling dental caries with excellent results and patient satisfaction.